(The lid flew off, so don't mind the piece of drywall I put on top.)
- Apparently, if you put in a ton of branches, it'll take a ridiculously long time to decompose.
- You need to water it. When I picked up this bin and started forking it into a pile, I noticed that most of it was very dry and not doing anything. Apparently keeping it moist actually is important.
- Vegetable scraps disappear pretty quickly.
- Coffee grounds and filters disappear even faster!
- Once you actually figure out what you're doing, you might need to ask your friends and neighbors for their leaves because it starts shrinking very quickly.
- It helps to actually turn the stuff, or at least move it around.
So far, I only have about an inch of compost, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Maybe by next summer I'll actually have enough to do something with.